Greetings, good Americans. I want to thank all vendors and producers who took part in the DPNM Annual Convention, Trade Show and Golf tournament. A special thanks to Mike McCloskey and David Jones for their State of the Agency Report. It may not have been all good news, but it is what it is, like it or not. We are lucky we have such good leadership in GSA; and that they have been able to market all the extra milk that is in our area, because that is a job and a half in itself. We also want to thank Kaye and Susan for all of their hard work in making the annual convention and another success. Without them, I know Sharon and I would be lost. So the next time you see one of these special ladies, thank them for everything they do for us.
Dairy Fest in Clovis was a great success with over four thousand people served. This was very positive public relations for the dairy industry. We thank the United Dairy Women and others who dedicated their time and efforts to make Dairy Fest a success.
The immigration bill is dead until the fall session starts. We have to realize that this is a difficult bill. Out in the country, we are lucky to have immigrants to get the job done. In the cities, it is a different story. The following is a list of facts (from the Los Angeles Times):
- As many as 40% of all workers in L.A. County are working for cash and not paying taxes. This was because they are predominantly illegal immigrants, working without a green card.
- 95% of warrants for murder in Los Angeles are illegal aliens.
- 75% of people on the most wanted list in Los Angeles are illegal aliens.
- Over 2/3ís of all births in Los Angeles County are to illegal alien Mexicans on Medi-Cal whose births were paid for by taxpayers.
- Nearly 25% of all inmates in California detention centers are Mexican nationals here illegally.
- Over 300,000 illegal aliens in Los Angeles are most likely illegal aliens from south of the border.
- The FBI reports half of all gang members in Los Angeles are most likely illegal aliens from south of the border.
- Nearly 60% of all occupants of HUD properties are illegal.
- 21 radio stations in L.A. are Spanish speaking.
- In L.A. County, 5.1 million people speak English. 3.9 million speak Spanish and there are 10.2 million people in L.A. County.
- Less than 2% of illegal aliens are picking our crops but 29% are on welfare.
- Over 70% of the United States annual population growth (and over 90% of California, Florida, and New York) results from immigration.
- The cost of immigration to the American taxpayer in 1997 was a Net (after subtracting taxes immigrants pay) $70 BILLION a year. [Professor Donald Huddle, Rice University]
- The lifetime fiscal impact (taxes paid minus services used) for the average adult Mexican immigrant is a Negative.
- 29% of inmates in federal prisons are illegal aliens. I guess they donít all milk cows or pick lettuce.
Here is an update on TB. TB seems to be under control in NM at this time. The one affected herd is being retested as scheduled. No infected animals have been identified and removed from the herd in well over one year. Smaller herds and operations are still being located and tested within the zone. Known herds and operations within the zone are current on the required annual testing. Movement controls on the zone remain a priority; and USDA over site has commented favorably on this and most aspects of the TB effort in New Mexico.